Construction firm Vinci has secured the £15 contract to build the new Stonehenge visitor centre. The scheme will see the existing visitor centre and car park on the A344 closed and grassed over with new exhibition and education facilities built at Airman’s Corner, just over a mile to the west of the megalithic monument.
Royal Engineers based at Tidworth assisted English Heritage in moving Airman’s Cross Grade-II listed memorial at Airman's Corner on 25 June. The memorial formerly sited at the A360 - A344 road junction near Stonehenge has been removed to make way for an access upgrade with the construction of a new roundabout to manage traffic diverted by the closure of the A344 in spring 2013.
|The new Stonehenge visitor centre|
The Airman's memorial is to be resited at a permanent home in the grounds of the new Stonehenge visitor centre. The memorial commemorates an early aviation accident on 5th July 1912, in which the pioneer British aviator Captain Eustace Loraine and his passenger Staff Sgt Richard Wilson became the first members of the newly formed Royal Flying Corps to die while on duty.
|The Airman's Memorial|
The memorial inscription reads:
'To the memory of Captain Loraine and Staff-Sergeant Wilson who whilst flying on duty, met with a fatal accident near this spot on 5 July 1912. Erected by their comrades'.
The Royal Engineers will be working closely with Wessex Archaeology to protect the cross during the move which will be put into safe storage at Perham Down Barracks for the interim.
English Heritage says the memorial will be reinstalled in a prominent position within the precincts of the new visitor centre before it reopens in 2013.
* * *