Just as the White Horse Stone, a listed ancient monument, was beginning to recover from a previous attack, the standing stone has been defaced again with someone painting red 'runic' symbols on the megalith.
The White Horse Stone, a large sarsen megalith said to resemble a 'horse', on Blue Bell Hill near Aylesford, Kent, is all that now survives of a Neolithic chamber tomb that has been subject to the onslaught of road and railway construction and repeated threats of phone mast installation over the years.
|The White Horse Stone|
Once known as 'The Kentish Standard Stone’ the megalith was more correctly known as the Upper White Horse Stone, with the Lower White Horse Stone formerly standing some 300m to the West but this megalithic companion was destroyed in 1823 and the site where it once stood now covered by the A229 trunk road.
Local lore claims that Horsa, leader of the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Kent with his brother Hengest, who apparently used the White horse of Kent as his standard, was slain during the Battle of Aylesford and buried beneath the stone.
It is part of the group antiquaries that has suffered particularly badly at man's progression, known as the Medway Megaliths and associated with the "Countless stones", "Kits Coty" and the now lost Neolithic chamber tomb “Smythe's Megalith” (Warren Farm) discovered in 1823 with 3 wall stones, pottery and human remains. Smythe's Megalith was located at the end of the same field as the "White Horse Stone” also on Blue Bell Hill and since been destroyed.
At the end of March 2010 the stone was discovered sprayed with red paint. Exactly three years on, this hardly seems an unrelated event.
White Horse Stone attacked again! - Guardians of The White Horse Stone, 26 March 2013
White Horse Stone defaced with red painted 'runes' - Megalithic Portal, 28 March 2013
* * *